How can you teach figure of speech to nine-year old Grade 3 students? Use pop songs!
Here are some songs which made use of figure of speech.
- Katy Perry's Firework
- Ellie Goulding's Love Me Like You Do
- Disney's Let it Go
- Sia's Chandelier
- Vanessa William's Colors of the Wind
Simile - figure of speech that uses direct comparison or similarities of two different objects.
- Our policemen are as hardworking as the ants.
- She has hair as black as the night.
- He was as strong as a bear.
- The fountain was as tall as a tree.
- The boy was as fast as a bullet train.
Personification - That figure of speech which assigns human attributes to objects or things.
- The song whispered to her ears.
- The new house embraced the needs of the young family.
- The moonlight tickled the sights of the observers.
- Fate was calling her name out loud.
- His greatest fears came knocking on his doors one morning.
- The howling wind sent chills to the two princes.
Metaphor - A figure of speech in which a word or phrase replaces another, creating a representation Examples:
- The sun is a ball of fire.
- The factory was a smoke machine.
- The classroom was a concert.
- The Philippines is melting pot.
- Her hair was my weakness.
- Shopping is my medicine.
- The eagle's claws are powerful nails.
- The neighborhood is a playground.
- The books in the library were heavy stones.
- His eyes were knives.